Saturday 16 November 2013

Chuck Palahniuk in Hull

I went up to Hull on Friday evening to watch Chuck Palahniuk, fellow transgressive writer, author of Fight Club and Choke, and my main inspiration when it comes to writing deliver a talk.  Of course he did a reading of Guts.  That seems to be de rigueur for Chuck nowadays.  The tale that turns people's stomachs, which sees some people leave the auditorium, while others faint.  I'm not convinced members in the audience do actually faint.  I get the impression that these people are the kind of people who "allow" themselves to be hypnotized into simulating sex on stage - attention seekers.  Nevertheless, it was great to see him read such a famous piece of work.

I was there with fellow writer and friend, Dan Wagstaffe.  Dan was particularly pissed off because during the question and answer session, somebody stole his question - something along the lines of, "Are there any topics that are taboo for you?"  Chuck's answer was essentially a firm no.  I agree.  I don't think any topic should be a taboo subject.  On the drive home, Dan and myself discussed that particular idea, and I suggested that tough as it might be, I could write a story about a paedophile or a man obsessed with bestiality (those were two of the "taboo" topics Dan threw into the conversation).  Dan's response was, "Does the world really need a story about a paedophile?"  My answer was, "Does the world really need another John Grisham novel?"  Essentially, the answer to both questions is neither a yes or a no.  Reading is subjective, and I recognize that some people fawn over Grisham and his novels in much the same way as I might fawn over Chuck Palahniuk and his books.

It was an excellent evening, which ended with Dan managing to get a copy of Putrid Underbelly within Chuck's sweaty paws.  Not that Chuck necessarily has sweaty paws, but you know what I mean.  Chuck Palahniuk has, maybe, looked at the cover of one of my books.  That is an achievement, and I thank Dan for having the bravery to make that happen.  But as I said to Dan later, "He's a transgressive writer.  He's probably wiping his arse on it."  I won't tell you what Dan's idea was about what Chuck was doing with my book, but it was something even more transgressive than using Putrid Underbelly as makeshift toilet paper.

Anyway, happy days, and thank you, Dan.

No comments:

Post a Comment